We create lasting value for all South Africans
"Our aim is to leave positive socio-economic legacies for all communities with whom we engage, legacies that are determined in consultation with the communities themselves."
Chairman Social and Ethics Committee Dolly Mokgatle
We fully understand that our responsibilities extend well beyond the mine gates. We realise that our reputation is built not only on what we do but the difference we make in the lives of our employees and our communities. Nurturing people is just as vital as nurturing our environment and it is only through this collective approach that we can safeguard a sustainable future for our company and South Africa.
Sustainability is a fundamental part of our business and is integrated into all we do.
Our sustainability strategy supports our commitment to:
- Create and leave a positive legacy in the communities in which we operate.
- Operate safely in a manner that seeks to eliminate harm to people and the environment.
- Deliver on our socio-economic development promises.
- Become a partner of choice to a broad range of stakeholders.
Our material issues
By closely examining the issues that could have the biggest impact on our business we believe we must focus on:
- Enhancing valuable partnerships with our communities and employees.
- Proactively adapting to a changing socio-economic landscape.
- Delivering a sustainable future by managing out resources and creating value for all stakeholder.
Partnerships and collaboration
We are committed to working with organisations that deal with key issues of concern to the company and its stakeholders. These organisations include:
All partnerships are built on trust and we believe transparency has a huge role to play in establishing the sense of openness and fairness that is needed for relationships with our stakeholders to flourish.
By supporting the principle of transparency through the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative and other new transparency requirement, we believe we can help stakeholders better understand our businesses and the value it creates for stakeholders.
Policies and standards
Our comprehensive policies and standards are aligned to that of our parent, Anglo American, and are reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance with South African requirements.